Garlicky spinach mashed potatoes provide down-home flair to this easy-yet-elegant classic starter that’s perfect for your next gathering or a quiet meal at home. These savory bites get a burst of buttery flavor thanks to Panko breadcrumbs, while the spinach will have you strong like Popeye. Pro tip: make the filling up to a day in advance, and skip a step to save on prep time by using leftover mashed potatoes.
What you need:
For the mashed potatoes:
2 medium Russet potatoes
2 tablespoons vegan butter
¼ teaspoon sea salt
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the spinach:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
For the topping:
¼ cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon melted vegan butter
⅛ teaspoon garlic salt
12 Baby Bella mushrooms, stems removed
What you do:
- For the mashed potatoes, peel potatoes, and dice into 1-inch cubes. Place diced potatoes in a medium pot, and fill with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, then return to the still-hot cooking pot. Using a potato masher or fork, mash potatoes to desired consistency. Stir in butter, salt, and pepper.
- For the spinach, into a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for approximately 1 minute. Add baby spinach leaves and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently until spinach leaves are wilted. Remove from skillet and place in a colander. Use the back of a spoon to press out any excess liquid. Place spinach on a cutting board and chop finely.
- For the topping, into a small bowl, add panko bread crumbs, melted butter, and salt. Toss to combine.
- To assemble, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Into a medium-sized mixing bowl, add mashed potatoes and spinach. Stir well to combine. Place mushrooms at least 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Spoon mashed potato and spinach mixture into each mushroom cap. Bake approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove stuffed mushrooms from oven and top with breadcrumb mixture. Return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes, until breadcrumbs are lightly golden in color. Serve warm.